Re: Faster "SET search_path"

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Faster "SET search_path"
Date: 2023-07-29 16:44:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 29 Jul 2023 at 11:59, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:

Unfortunately, adding a "SET search_path" clause to functions slows
> them down. The attached patches close the performance gap
> substantially.
>
> Changes:
>
> 0001: Transform the settings in proconfig into a List for faster
> processing. This is simple and speeds up any proconfig setting.
>
> 0002: Introduce CheckIdentifierString(), which is a faster version of
> SplitIdentifierString() that only validates, and can be used in
> check_search_path().
>
> 0003: Cache of previous search_path settings. The key is the raw
> namespace_search_path string and the role OID, and it caches the
> computed OID list. Changes to the search_path setting or the role can
> retrieve the cached OID list as long as nothing else invalidates the
> cache (changes to the temp schema or a syscache invalidation of
> pg_namespace or pg_role).

I'm glad to see this work. Something related to consider, not sure if this
is helpful: can the case of the caller's search_path happening to be the
same as the SET search_path setting be optimized? Essentially, "just"
observe efficiently (somehow) that no change is needed, and skip changing
it? I ask because substantially all my functions are written using "SET
search_path FROM CURRENT", and then many of them call each other. As a
result, in my use I would say that the common case is a function being
called by another function, where both have the same search_path setting.
So ideally, the search_path would not be changed at all when entering and
exiting the callee.