Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-24 22:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 24 July 2018 at 18:17, Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com> wrote:

> Note that it's OK to *accidentally* implement patented algorithms as
> long as the author of the contribution didn't know about. There's no
> trebble damages in that case, and no tainting of others, plus,
> contributors and code reviewers/committers can't be expected to do
> patent searches for each contribution.

Non-lawyer here, but "OK" is not a description I would apply to
implementing a patented algorithm. You might be thinking of copyright. Of
course it is true that people can't reasonably be expected to do patent
searches, as you describe, but the patent system as applied to software is
not well-known among knowledgeable people for being reasonable.