Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Colin Watson <cjwatson(at)canonical(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Backport "WITH ... AS MATERIALIZED" syntax to <12?
Date: 2019-10-19 15:10:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 at 10:53, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> > In general, I'm not opposed to accepting and ignoring the MATERIALIZED
> > syntax (assuming we'd only accept AS MATERIALIZED, but not the negative
> > variant).
> >
> > FWIW I'm not sure the "we don't want to upgrade application code at the
> > same time as the database" is really tenable.
>
> I'm -1 for exactly this reason.
>
> In any case, if you insist on using the same code with pre-12 and
> post-12 releases, this should be achievable (at least in most cases) by
> using the "offset 0" trick, shouldn't it?

That embeds a temporary hack in the application code indefinitely.

If only we had Guido's (Python) time machine. We could go back and start
accepting "AS MATERIALIZED" as noise words starting from version 7 or
something.