Re: Infinite Interval

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Infinite Interval
Date: 2023-03-25 20:25:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023 at 15:59, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > In terms of adding/subtracting infinities, the IEEE standard is pay
> > walled and I don't have a copy. I tried finding information online but
> > I also wasn't able to find anything useful. I additionally checked to see
> > the results of C++, C, and Java, and they all match which increases my
> > confidence that we're doing the right thing. Does anyone happen to have
> > a copy of the standard and can confirm?
>
> I think you can take it as read that simple C test programs on modern
> platforms will exhibit IEEE-compliant handling of float infinities.

Additionally, the Java language specification claims to follow IEEE 754:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se11/html/jls-15.html#jls-15.18.2

So either C and Java agree with each other and with the spec, or they
disagree in the same way even while at least one of them explicitly claims
to be following the spec. I think you're on pretty firm ground.