Re: Code of Conduct plan

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ozz Nixon <ozznixon(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date: 2018-06-05 23:37:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 5 June 2018 at 17:34, Ozz Nixon <ozznixon(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Sorry...
>
> > 1) CoC might result in developers leaving projects
>

> I know this on going regurgitation is going to cause my team to
> leave the project, right around 100 posts on this off topic topic.... it
> was bad enough when the original idea came up (2 years ago I think). It
> used to be exciting to sit back and review the day or weeks posts... not
> much anymore.

With all due respect, it is completely unreasonable to quit just because
there has been some discussion of the rules for co-existing within the
project. The intent of codes of conduct is usually supposed to be to make
it clear that bullying and harassment are not permitted, something that is
not always clear to everybody. That doesn't mean that any particular
position on them is required, only that discussion of them is definitely
*not* off topic. In any event, if you aren't interested in a thread, you
can easily mute it. Personally, I have about 95% of pgsql-hackers muted,
because I simply don't have time to be interested in every topic that is
discussed, and I suspect many subscribers are similar. If somebody is so
sensitive to even being aware of a discussion of the issue that they feel
they have to leave, then I would expect them to leave at some point anyway
due to becoming offended by some trivial matter that nobody else would even
notice.