Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: split TOAST support out of postgres.h
Date: 2022-12-28 14:07:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 at 08:07, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Most backend code doesn't actually need the variable-length data types
> support (TOAST support) in postgres.h. So I figured we could try to put
> it into a separate header file. That makes postgres.h more manageable,
> and it avoids including a bunch of complicated unused stuff everywhere.
> I picked "varatt.h" as the name. Then we could either

[…]

> I went with the last option in my patch.
>
> Thoughts?

This is a bit of a bikeshed suggestion, but I'm wondering if you considered
calling it toast.h? Only because the word is so distinctive within
Postgres; everybody knows exactly to what it refers.

I definitely agree with the principle of organizing and splitting up the
header files. Personally, I don't mind importing a bunch of headers if I'm
using a bunch of subsystems so I would be OK with needing to import this
new header if I need it.