Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf

From: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Date: 2020-11-13 03:40:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 at 22:31, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> I maintain that simply vanishing terms from the docs without any sort of
> explanation is a user-hostile action that we should fix and stop doing If
> we had something in the docs and we remove it, it's not unduly burdensome
> to have some index entries that point to the replacement/renamed terms, and
> a short appendix entry explaining what happened.

This sounds very reasonable to me. I would add that while I am by no means
an expert in Postgres, although I do know a few things, I will state that
it is my professional opinion as a Web person that pages should not simply
disappear from formal documentation without some sort of indication of what
happened. There are lots of ways to accomplish an indication but for
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/recovery-config.html or other pages
to just disappear is definitely wrong.