Need help : pgsql HA issues

From: Shital A <brightuser2019(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Need help : pgsql HA issues
Date: 2019-09-30 19:39:43
Lists: pgsql-general

*Hello All,*

We are in process of testing a Postgres 9.6 active-passive HA cluster using
streaming replication on Rhel 7.5.

We are seeing below issue with the setup :

1. When a failover is triggered while data is being added to the primary
by killing primary (killall -9 postgres), the failed node is restarted to
but doesn't start streaming. It starts in disconnect mode. We checked and
notice that the wal receiver process is not started. Need help in

1. To check why the wal receiver process is not stated ? Is killed -9
leaving some processes uncleaned because of which the walk receiver is
not starting
?

2. How can we simulate abrupt shut down of postgresql ? We want to simulate
case where primary goes down abruptly

Please share any pointers if you have.

Thanks