Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)

From: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date: 2022-03-01 08:57:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > 3) Why do we need this extra calculation for start_lsn?
> > Do you ever see a negative LSN or something here?
> > + ('0/0'::pg_lsn + (
> > + CASE
> > + WHEN (s.param3 < 0) THEN pow((2)::numeric, (64)::numeric)
> > + ELSE (0)::numeric
> > + END + (s.param3)::numeric)) AS start_lsn,
>
> Yes: LSN can take up all of an uint64; whereas the pgstat column is a
> bigint type; thus the signed int64. This cast is OK as it wraps
> around, but that means we have to take care to correctly display the
> LSN when it is > 0x7FFF_FFFF_FFFF_FFFF; which is what we do here using
> the special-casing for negative values.

Yes. The extra calculation is required here as we are storing unit64
value in the variable of type int64. When we convert uint64 to int64
then the bit pattern is preserved (so no data is lost). The high-order
bit becomes the sign bit and if the sign bit is set, both the sign and
magnitude of the value changes. To safely get the actual uint64 value
whatever was assigned, we need the above calculations.

> > 4) Can't you use timestamptz_in(to_char(s.param4)) instead of
> > pg_stat_get_progress_checkpoint_start_time? I don't quite understand
> > the reasoning for having this function and it's named as *checkpoint*
> > when it doesn't do anything specific to the checkpoint at all?
>
> I hadn't thought of using the types' inout functions, but it looks
> like timestamp IO functions use a formatted timestring, which won't
> work with the epoch-based timestamp stored in the view.

There is a variation of to_timestamp() which takes UNIX epoch (float8)
as an argument and converts it to timestamptz but we cannot directly
call this function with S.param4.

TimestampTz
GetCurrentTimestamp(void)
{
TimestampTz result;
struct timeval tp;

gettimeofday(&tp, NULL);

result = (TimestampTz) tp.tv_sec -
((POSTGRES_EPOCH_JDATE - UNIX_EPOCH_JDATE) * SECS_PER_DAY);
result = (result * USECS_PER_SEC) + tp.tv_usec;

return result;
}

S.param4 contains the output of the above function
(GetCurrentTimestamp()) which returns Postgres epoch but the
to_timestamp() expects UNIX epoch as input. So some calculation is
required here. I feel the SQL 'to_timestamp(946684800 +
(S.param4::float / 1000000)) AS start_time' works fine. The value
'946684800' is equal to ((POSTGRES_EPOCH_JDATE - UNIX_EPOCH_JDATE) *
SECS_PER_DAY). I am not sure whether it is good practice to use this
way. Kindly share your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin Jadhav