Re: Query about time zone patterns in to_char

From: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query about time zone patterns in to_char
Date: 2021-05-16 16:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> AFAICS, table 9.26 specifically shows which case-variants are supported.
> If there are some others that happen to work, we probably shouldn't
> remove them for fear of breaking poorly-written apps ... but that does
> not imply that we need to support every case-variant.

Thanks for the explanation. I also feel that we may not support every
case-variant. But the other reason which triggered me to think in the
other way is, as mentioned in commit [1] where this feature was added,
says that these format patterns are compatible with Oracle. Whereas
Oracle supports both upper case and lower case patterns. I just wanted
to get it confirmed with this point before concluding.

[1] -
commit 11b623dd0a2c385719ebbbdd42dd4ec395dcdc9d
Author: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Date: Tue Jan 9 14:25:05 2018 -0500

Implement TZH and TZM timestamp format patterns

These are compatible with Oracle and required for the datetime template
language for jsonpath in an upcoming patch.

Nikita Glukhov and Andrew Dunstan, reviewed by Pavel Stehule.

Thanks & Regards,
Nitin Jadhav