Re: Why isn't an index scan being used?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Abi Noda <a(at)abinoda(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why isn't an index scan being used?
Date: 2019-02-20 14:58:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Abi Noda <a(at)abinoda(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks Justin.
>
> The 4ms different in the examples isn't an accurate benchmark. I'm seeing
> about a ~20% difference over a larger sample size. And this is on a fork of
> the production database.

Please show the execution plans from that larger sample, if that is the one
that is most relevant.

You can "set enable_bitmapscan = off" to get rid of the bitmap scan in
order to see the estimated cost and actual performance of the next-best
plan (which will probably the regular index scan).

Cheers,

Jeff