Re: BUG #16183: PREPARED STATEMENT slowed down by jit

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>
Cc: Christian Quest <cquest(at)cquest(dot)org>, github(at)cquest(dot)org, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16183: PREPARED STATEMENT slowed down by jit
Date: 2020-01-06 17:50:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 7:21 PM Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com> wrote:

> I tried applying your original patch and the later patch from that thread
> to REL_12_STABLE, unfortunately no luck on either. The original patch
> errors with:
>
> $ git apply -p1 < array_type_analyze_MCE_V001.patch
> error: src/backend/utils/adt/array_typanalyze.c: already exists in working
> directory

I just use the GNU "patch -p1" command. I don't know what "git apply" is
up to here, and the error message isn't very informative.

By the way, the patch says "However, there is no histogram to fall back on
when the MCE array is NULL", which is a bit of nonsense. It is ndistinct,
not histogram, which the scalar case falls back on when MCV is NULL. But
there isn't an ndistinct for MCE either, so the conclusion is still sound.

Cheers,

Jeff