Re: make check-world output

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make check-world output
Date: 2017-03-11 00:26:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 3/10/17 15:05, Jeff Janes wrote:
> > There was some recent discussion about making "make check-world"
> > faster. I'm all for that, but how about making it quieter? On both
> > machines I've run it on (CentOS6.8 and Ubuntu 16.04.2), it dumps some
> > gibberish to stderr, example attached. Which first made me wonder
> > whether the test passed or failed, and then made me give up on running
> > it altogether when I couldn't easily figure that out. Am I supposed to
> > be seeing this? Am I supposed to understand it?
>
> Well, you are kind of showing it out of context. Normally it will tell
> you something at the end,

"make check" doesn't say anything (to stderr) at the end, unless there are
errors. I am expecting the same of "make check-world".

> and there will be an exit code.

True. But I generally don't rely on that, unless the docs explicitly tell
me to.

> If we show no output, then other people will complain that they can't
> tell whether it's hanging.

Isn't that what stdout is for?

Cheers,

Jeff