Re: BUG #17711: Login failed

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: juliamigay(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17711: Login failed
Date: 2022-12-11 15:29:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 9:07 AM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 17711
> Logged by: Julia Migay
> Email address: juliamigay(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 15.1
> Operating system: MAC
>
> Hello! I installed the postgress package on my Mac M1
> When logging in to pgADMIN 4, when asked for a password again (2 times), I
> get the same error each time, although the password is correct
> "connection to server at "localhost" (127.0.0.1) port 5432 failed: FATAL:
> password authentication failed for user "postgres""

How did you install it? What error gets reported in the database server's
log file?

PgAdmin shouldn't ask you for the same password twice just to log on to the
database (unless you made two different attempts to log on). It might ask
for a master password it uses for its internal password vault, and then ask
for the database password because it is not already in the vault. Or in
server mode it might ask for a password to log onto the web interface
itself. Read the prompts carefully to see what it is actually asking for.

Cheers,

Jeff