Re: SCRAM auth and Pgpool-II

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCRAM auth and Pgpool-II
Date: 2017-07-16 01:47:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 7:48 AM, Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name> wrote:

> 14 июля 2017 г., в 1:33, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> написал(а):
>
> What would be really nice for such cases is support for Kerberos and
> delegated Kerberos credentials. Having pgpool support that would remove
> the need to deal with passwords at all.
>

> Since nearly all systems with some kind of load nowadays use connection
> poolers (pgpool-II or pgbouncer) between applications and postgres, it is a
> pretty big pain to re-implement all authentication methods supported by
> postgres in such poolers. Kerberos is cool but not the only thing that
> should be supported by FDWs or connection poolers. I.e. many users would
> want to have support for LDAP and SCRAM.

For the postgres_fdw, LDAP and SCRAM just work. In the case of SCRAM (and
MD5), it would be nice if you could store something other than the
plain-text password, but that is a different matter. If other FDW connect
to something which can do LDAP or SCRAM, I don't see why those FDW would
have any difficulty, either.

> And every time when there would be some changes in postgres auth methods,
> exactly the same work (or even worse) should be done in many (at least two)
> other products widely used by people.

That is not all that often.

> It seems that postgres either should provide connection pooling feature in
> core

That would be nice, but since pgpool and pgbouncer co-exist with each
other, I see no reason to think they wouldn't continue to exist even if
there were an in-core pooler.

Cheers,

Jeff