Re: Massive parallel queue table causes index deterioration, but REINDEX fails with deadlocks.

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gunther <raj(at)gusw(dot)net>
Cc: postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Massive parallel queue table causes index deterioration, but REINDEX fails with deadlocks.
Date: 2019-02-24 23:39:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 1:02 PM Gunther <raj(at)gusw(dot)net> wrote:

> Thank you all for responding so far.
>
> David Rowley and Justin Pryzby suggested things about autovacuum. But I
> don't think autovacuum has any helpful role here. I am explicitly doing a
> vacuum on that table. And it doesn't help at all. Almost not at all.

If you do a vacuum verbose, what stats do you get back? What is the size
of the index when the degradation starts to show, and immediately after a
successful reindex?

Also, how is JobID assigned? Are they from a sequence, or some other
method where they are always added to the end of the index's keyspace?

When it starts to degrade, what is the EXPLAIN plan for the query?

Cheers,

Jeff