Re: [HACKERS] SSL and Encryption

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] SSL and Encryption
Date: 2017-11-03 16:12:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:22 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 11/2/2017 10:12 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/List_of_drivers
>>
>> What is 'python native'? psycopg works as long you update your libpq.
>>

> I thought pythonistas preferred using a native driver that didn't use
> libpq ?

I'm not a pythonista more of a python-when-I-must, but psycopg is the
dominant driver I've seen used and discussed. I had to use a different
driver (zxJDBC, for jython) and basically all advice I found was for
psycopg and not applicable to zxJDBC, which most people apparently had
never even heard of.

Anyway, I would think psycopg would be classed as a native binding, as it
uses libpq which is 'native' to PostgreSQL.

If someone has greater knowledge here, it would be nice to update the wiki
pages with new info.

Talk of what is native or not in pythons now has me thinking of the
Everglades.

Cheers,

Jeff