Re: optimizing vacuum truncation scans

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: optimizing vacuum truncation scans
Date: 2015-05-26 19:37:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 4/20/15 1:50 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>

>> For that matter, why do we scan backwards anyway? The comments don't
>> explain it, and we have nonempty_pages as a starting point, so why
>> don't we just scan forward? I suspect that eons ago we didn't have
>> that and just blindly reverse-scanned until we finally hit a
>> non-empty buffer...
>>

>> nonempty_pages is not concurrency safe, as the pages could become used
>> after vacuum passed them over but before the access exclusive lock was
>> grabbed before the truncation scan. But maybe the combination of the
>> two? If it is above nonempty_pages, then anyone who wrote into the page
>> after vacuum passed it must have cleared the VM bit. And currently I
>> think no one but vacuum ever sets VM bit back on, so once cleared it
>> would stay cleared.
>>

> Right.
>
> In any event nonempty_pages could be used to set the guess as to how
>> many pages (if any) might be worth prefetching, as that is not needed
>> for correctness.
>>

> Yeah, but I think we'd do a LOT better with the VM idea, because we could
> immediately truncate without scanning anything.

Right now all the interlocks to make this work seem to be in place (only
vacuum and startup can set visibility map bits, and only one vacuum can be
in a table at a time). But as far as I can tell, those assumption are not
"baked in" and we have pondered loosening them before.

For example, letting HOT clean up mark a page as all-visible if it finds it
be such. Now in that specific case it would be OK, as HOT cleanup would
not cause a page to become empty (or could it? If an insert on a table
with no indexes was rolled back, and hot clean up found it and cleaned it
up, it could conceptually become empty--unless we make special code to
prevent it) , and so the page would have to be below nonempty_pages. But
there may be other cases.

And I know other people have mentioned making VACUUM concurrent (although I
don't see the value in that myself).

So doing it this way would be hard to beat (scanning a bitmap vs the table
itself), but it would also introduce a modularity violation that I am not
sure is worth it.

Of course this could always be reverted if its requirements became a
problem for a more important change (assuming of course that we detected
the problem)

Cheers,

Jeff