Re: Query generates infinite loop

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query generates infinite loop
Date: 2022-05-04 19:01:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 5:43 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I wrote:
> > it's true that infinities as generate_series endpoints are going
> > to work pretty oddly, so I agree with the idea of forbidding 'em.
>
> > Numeric has infinity as of late, so the numeric variant would
> > need to do this too.
>
> Oh --- looks like numeric generate_series() already throws error for
> this, so we should just make the timestamp variants do the same.

The regression test you added for this change causes an infinite loop when
run against an unpatched server with --install-check. That is a bit
unpleasant. Is there something we can and should do about that? I was
expecting regression test failures of course but not an infinite loop
leading towards disk exhaustion.

Cheers,

Jeff