Re: BUG #16691: Autovacuum stops processing certain databases until postgresql rebooted

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: bm(dot)kinder(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #16691: Autovacuum stops processing certain databases until postgresql rebooted
Date: 2020-10-31 18:55:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 5:44 PM PG Bug reporting form <
noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 16691
> Logged by: Max Vikharev
> Email address: bm(dot)kinder(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 12.3
> Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS
>
> Hi,
>
> Previously i've reported BUG # 16620. But there is no answer on my new
> mails, so i have to open this new report.
>
> Currently we have to restart postgresql 12.3 every 5-7 days to make it
> work
> properly on 5 terabyte cluster with ~ 50 databases. The problem is that
> autovacuum stops to process certain databases and cycles on the only one...
> Until we restart cluster.

There is a known problem (
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1yE4YyCC00W_GcNoOZ4X2qxF7x5DUAR_kMt-Ta=YPyFPQ@mail.gmail.com)
that looks something like this, but restarting the database should not fix
it (or at least, not for long), and it should stop on its own once the one
database being vacuumed for wraparound has finished doing so. Is it
vacuuming the same table over and over again, or is finishing that table
and moving to another in the same database, or what?

Cheers,

Jeff