Re: PATCH: Split stats file per database WAS: autovacuum stress-testing our system

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: Split stats file per database WAS: autovacuum stress-testing our system
Date: 2013-02-09 20:40:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:

>> We do not already have this. There is no relevant spec. I can't see
>> how this could need pg_dump support (but what about pg_upgrade?)
>
> pg_dump - no
>
> pg_upgrage - IMHO it should create the pg_stat directory. I don't think
> it could "convert" statfile into the new format (by splitting it into
> the pieces). I haven't checked but I believe the default behavior is to
> delete it as there might be new fields / slight changes of meaning etc.

Right, I have no concerns with pg_upgrade any more. The pg_stat will
inherently get created by the initdb of the new cluster (because the
initdb will done with the new binaries with your patch in place them).

pg_upgrade currently doesn't copy over global/pgstat.stat. So that
means the new cluster doesn't have the activity stats either way,
patch or unpatched. So if it is not currently a problem it will not
become one under the proposed patch.

Cheers,

Jeff