Re: contrecord is requested

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: contrecord is requested
Date: 2017-09-12 16:19:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> So we have a db we're trying to rewind and get synced to the master.
> pg_rewind says it doesn't need rewinding, and when we try to bring it
> up, it gets this error:
>
> "contrecord is requested by 2E7/40000028"
>
> And fails to get back up.
>
> Is this a known issue? Possible bug in the continuation record code?
>
> The only references I can find for it are in the xlogreader code.

I've seen this twice lately and both times it was user error.

One time someone who shall remain nameless made a replica of a remote QA
server using "pg_basebackup -R ...", but then copied the *.conf files
**including recovery.conf** from the running replica of the the remote
production server into the new directory for the replica of the remote QA
server. So primary_conninfo had been overwritten to point to the wrong
master server.

The other time someone who shall also remain nameless accidentally fully
opened up a newly cloned (from a cold backup, I think) of an dummy
benchmarking server, instead of putting it into standby. And then tried to
shut it down and re-open it as a standby without doing a full refresh. But
of course it was too late to do that.

Cheers,

Nameless