Re: Segment best size

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Segment best size
Date: 2013-04-13 19:51:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Rodrigo Barboza
<rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> I was receiving warning messages of pgstat timeout.
> I started looking for the solution for this problem and this doubt came
> out.
> But it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Usually that just means that you are dirtying pages faster than your hard
drives can write them out, leading to IO contention. Sometimes you can do
something about this by changing the work-load to dirty pages in more
compact regions, or by changing the configuration. Often the only
effective thing you can do is buy more hard-drives.

Cheers,

Jeff