Re: waiting for client write

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ayub Khan <ayub(dot)hp(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: waiting for client write
Date: 2021-06-11 21:58:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Ayub Khan <ayub(dot)hp(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Vijay,
>
> Both tomcat and postgresql are on the same region as that of the database
> server. It is an RDS so I do not have shell access to it.
>
> Jeff,
>
> The tomcat profile is suggesting that it's waiting for a response from the
> database server.

But waiting for a response should consume zero CPU, that is why I wonder if
this is a CPU profile or a wall-time profile.

Tomcat and RDS are in the same availability region as eu-central-1a

I don't think that that necessarily guarantees high network performance.
Some EC2 server classes have better networking than others. And if the
server says it is waiting for the client, and the client says it is
waiting server (assuming that that is really what it is saying), then what
else could it be but the network?

Cheers,

Jeff