Re: Set visibility map bit after HOT prune

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set visibility map bit after HOT prune
Date: 2012-12-21 02:24:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012, Robert Haas wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > I would like to run some pgbench tests where we get the system in a
> > steady state such as all/most updates are HOT updates (not entirely
> > unlikely scenario for many real life cases). And then try running some
> > concurrent queries which can be executed via IOS. My gut feel is that,
> > today we will see slow and continuous drop in performance for these
> > queries because IOS will slowly stop working.
>
> If there are no vacuums, I agree.

If the table is randomly updated over its entire size, then pretty much
every block will be not-all-visible (and so disqualified from IOS) before
you hit the default 20% vacuum threshold. I wonder if there ought not be
another vac threshold, based on vm density rather than estimated obsolete
tuple density.

Cheers,

Jeff