Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Date: 2019-10-19 19:06:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 1:59 AM Daulat Ram <Daulat(dot)Ram(at)exponential(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Can you please share some ideas and scenarios how we can do the PITR in
> case of disaster.

It depends on what you mean by "disaster". Usually I think that would mean
your server (or entire data center) was destroyed. In this case, you would
want to restore to the latest time available. I would say that this is not
PITR at all, that is just regular recovery.

If someone truncated a table 3 weeks ago, and you didn't realize it until
today, that is a scenario for PITR. Are you using "disaster" to cover this
scenario?

Cheers,

Jeff