Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-09-25 17:35:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> Jeff Janes wrote:
>

> > I'd rather, say, put some more work into cleaning the kruft out of the
> > To-Do list, then put that effort into migrating the kruft to a fancier
> > filing cabinet.
>
> Casual users would need a community account in order to file bugs in the
> Todo wiki page.

Sorry, I changed lanes without signalling there, from an outward facing bug
tracker to an inward facing issue tracker.

But bug trackers usually do incorporate a to-do list as well. I think they
are better separate anyway. Someone who does have an community account
could (and sometimes does now) respond saying "that isn't really a bug, but
a feature request, and I added it to the To Do list".

I don't think a wiki page qualifies (by a long mile) as
> a bug tracker, anyway.

Right, they are quite different. But I don't think the differences make a
difference, as far as making it stop being a place where ideas go to die
without ever realizing they are dead. It would be nice to know the date on
which any given item was added to the TODO page (and general a wiki version
of "git blame" would be nice), but beyond that I don't see it making a
difference. Since we want to have the wiki anyway (I assume) then using it
for open-items and todo list is basically free, while an issue tracker is
another piece of software to learn (for its users) and maintain (for the
infrastructure team).

Cheers,

Jeff