Re: Resource Owner reassign Locks

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Resource Owner reassign Locks
Date: 2015-06-07 20:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <
heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On 18.06.2012 13:59, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>
>> On 10.06.2012 23:39, Jeff Janes wrote:
>> I found the interface between resowner.c and lock.c a bit confusing.
>> resowner.c would sometimes call LockReassignCurrentOwner() to reassign
>> all the locks, and sometimes it would call LockReassignCurrentOwner() on
>> each individual lock, with the net effect that's the same as calling
>> LockReleaseCurrentOwner(). And it doesn't seem right for
>> ResourceOwnerRemember/ForgetLock to have to accept a NULL owner.
>>
>> I rearranged that so that there's just a single
>> LockReassignCurrentOwner() function, like before this patch. But it
>> takes as an optional argument a list of locks held by the current
>> resource owner. If the caller knows it, it can pass them to make the
>> call faster, but if it doesn't it can just pass NULL and the function
>> will traverse the hash table the old-fashioned way. I think that's a
>> better API.
>>
>> Please take a look to see if I broke something.
>>

> I hear no complaints, so committed. Thanks!

I'd like to advocate for back-patching this to 9.0, 9.1, and 9.2. It has
run without problems for a while now, and it can be considered a bug that
systems with a very large number of objects cannot be upgraded in a
reasonable time.

There are possible ways to make the upgrade smoother by changing the new
systems pg_upgrade rather the old systems server, but those methods will
not be simpler, and not be as well tested.

I'll add this proposal to the commit fest.

Thanks,

Jeff