Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 Logging

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "carlosinfl (dot)" <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 Logging
Date: 2013-08-22 15:28:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM, carlosinfl . <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand how 9.2.4 logs common tasks and info in
> CentOS 6.4 Linux. It appears everything is stored in
> /var/lib/pgsql9/data/pg_log/postgresql-%a.log
>
> My issue is the logging information is fairly missing / light. I only
> see auth failures and nothing more. I tried to perform my 1st VACUUM
> command on my database and I was hoping to see something in the logs
> showing it PASSED / FAILED or even was manually initiated by a
> superuser role but I see nothing...

I'm not sure why that is of interest. If you invoked the command from
psql interactively, you get the results on your screen. If you do it
in a script, you can arrange to log the results from that script.

> I don't need to log every single verbose thing this database server
> does but I would expect something like a VACUUM command would be
> warranted to be logged, no?

Fast running manually invoked vacuums seem like one of the least
interesting things to log to me. I can see wanting to log slow
vacuums, but why just vacuum and not all slow statements? (Which you
can already do)

But it does seem like maybe an option of 'util' for log_statement
would be reasonable to have.

Cheers,

Jeff