Re: [patch] BUG #15005: ANALYZE can make pg_class.reltuples inaccurate.

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alina Alexeeva <alexeeva(at)adobe(dot)com>, Ullas Lakkur Raghavendra <lakkurra(at)adobe(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [patch] BUG #15005: ANALYZE can make pg_class.reltuples inaccurate.
Date: 2018-03-08 05:39:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 3:18 PM, David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 07:49:46 -0800
> Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:49 PM, David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe a well-timed crash caused n_dead_tup to get reset to zero and that
> is
> > why autovac is not kicking in? What are the pg_stat_user_table number
> and
> > the state of the visibility map for your massively bloated table, if you
> > still have them?

> The main pain points are that when reltuples gets inflated there is no way
> to fix it, auto vacuum stops looking at the table and hand run ANALYZE
> can't
> reset the reltuples. The only cure is VACUUM FULL, but that is not really
> practical without unacceptable amounts of downtime.

But why won't an ordinary manual VACUUM (not FULL) fix it? That seems like
that is a critical thing to figure out.

As for preventing it in the first place, based on your description of your
hardware and operations, I was going to say you need to increase the max
number of autovac workers, but then I remembered you from "Autovacuum slows
down with large numbers of tables. More workers makes it slower" (
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20151030133252.3033.4249%40wrigleys.postgresql.org).
So you are probably still suffering from that? Your patch from then seemed
to be pretty invasive and so controversial. I had a trivial but fairly
effective patch at the time, but it now less trivial because of how shared
catalogs are dealt with (commit 15739393e4c3b64b9038d75) and I haven't
rebased it over that issue.

Cheers,

Jeff