Re: auto vaccum is dying

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: auto vaccum is dying
Date: 2014-10-02 15:34:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hello, I have a table that receives lots of updates and inserts.
> Auto vaccum is always being cancelled on that table.

Do you have a scheduled task that clusters or reindexes the table?

Newer versions of PostgreSQL will log the conflicting statement that caused
the vacuum to cancel.

> One day the database went on standby and I had to act manually to recover.

I'm not sure what that means. Do you mean it stopped accepting commands to
prevent "wrap around" data loss? Once autovacuum starts running on a table
in "prevent wrap around", then it no longer voluntarily yields to other
processes trying to take a conflicting lock.

> What should I do to avoid auto vaccum cancel?

If you have scheduled jobs that do something on the table that requires a
lock which conflicts with autovac, then you might want to include a manual
VACUUM in that job.

Also, what full version are you running?

Cheers,

Jeff