Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sergey Koposov <koposov(at)ast(dot)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile
Date: 2012-06-01 00:27:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Oh, ho.  So from this we can see that the problem is that we're
> getting huge amounts of spinlock contention when pinning and unpinning
> index pages.
>
> It would be nice to have a self-contained reproducible test case for
> this, so that we could experiment with it on other systems.

I just posted a patch under subject "pgbench--new transaction type"
that introduces a pgbench -P option.

I think that that would do a good job of simulating unique-key
look-ups on the inner side of a nested loop (which is basically what
we have here) and so creating contention on index pages. Right now I
don't have anything with more than 2 CPUs and 2 is not high enough to
get much contention so I can't post any meaningful numbers. (pgbench
-P might also be of interest in hash index investigation)

Cheers,

Jeff