Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date: 2014-07-10 19:58:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:
> On 27 June 2014 02:57, Jeff Wrote,
>
>> Based on that, I find most importantly that it doesn't seem to
>> correctly vacuum tables which have upper case letters in the name,
>> because it does not quote the table names when they need quotes.
>
> Thanks for your comments....
>
> There are two problem
> First -> When doing the vacuum of complete database that time if any table with upper case letter, it was giving error
> --FIXED by adding quotes for table name
>
> Second -> When user pass the table using -t option, and if it has uppercase letter
> --This is the existing problem (without parallel implementation),

Just for the record, I don't think the second one is actually a bug.
If someone uses -t option from the command line, they are required to
provide the quotes if quotes are needed, just like they would need to
in psql. That can be annoying to do from a shell, as you then need to
protect the quotes themselves from the shell, but that is the way it
is.

vacuumdb -t '"CrAzY QuOtE"'
or
vacuumdb -t \"CrAzY\ QuOtE\"