Re: Log archiving failing. Seems to be wrong timeline

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Lewis <clewis(at)inview(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Log archiving failing. Seems to be wrong timeline
Date: 2016-06-30 19:19:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Chris Lewis <clewis(at)inview(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 postgresql servers (v 9.4.2) master and slave in streaming
> replication. The overall cluster is controlled using pacemaker & corosync
> and the pgsql cluster agent which handles failover to, and promotion of, the
> slave.
>
> Recently a failover occured and I noticed that log archiving was failing on
> the master:

> Why are we trying to archive logs which belong to an old timeline?

Just because the timeline is old doesn't mean we want to destroy it.
Afterall, the reason for having timelines in the first place is to
preserve, not to destroy.

It sounds like someone removed the old timeline's log files from
pg_xlog, but did not remove the corresponding .ready files from
pg_xlog/archive_status.

If the old timeline's files are truly lost, then you will have to
carefully remove those corresponding .ready files.

Cheers,

Jeff