Re: BUG #9756: Inconsistent database after OS restart

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: sdl(at)mnppsaturn(dot)ru
Cc: Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #9756: Inconsistent database after OS restart
Date: 2014-03-31 15:55:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Samokhin, Dmitry [MNPP Saturn] <
sdl(at)mnppsaturn(dot)ru> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Due to a huge variety of services and their functionality, it's almost
> impossible to know (or predict) how much time every service needs to
> complete its init and deinit operations. Giving any "reasonable",
> "average", "sufficient" time to all of them to do this work would result in
> unreliability, on one hand, and waste of hardware and human resources, on
> the other hand. Instead, the service workflow in Windows is designed
> so services receive control events from the Service Control Manager and
> then they report when they are actually up or down, so Windows is able
> to continue the required either startup or shutdown process. For details,
> see
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee126211%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Sorry, I don't understand most of that, and don't see anything there about
what happens when Windows itself is shutting down. But from the log, it is
clear that PostgreSQL did get the notification it was supposed to exit
(however it received that notification), but that it was not allowed to
complete the process. Maybe Windows was told to reboot with a "force" flag
that causes it to not wait, or maybe Windows decided that PostgreSQL was
not communicating with the SCM properly and therefore deserved no mercy.

Are you using the EDB installers, or compiling it yourself?

Cheers,

Jeff