Re: Why do I have holes in my pages?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why do I have holes in my pages?
Date: 2012-09-21 19:45:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> It seems that this also matches your explanation, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that the explanations do generally match. But, just because
you observe that the ctid space has not been reused (like the OP did),
does not mean that the tuple-space has not been reused. My
understanding is that tuple space is easier to reuse than ctid space
is. Sometimes that distinction is important, and sometimes it is not.
In general, doing "select ctid..." is a poor way of figuring out
where the space in your database is going.

Cheers,

Jeff