Add <caution> for ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Add <caution> for ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION
Date: 2019-11-15 19:09:59
Lists: pgsql-docs

If you alter one of the built-in text search configurations, the
modifications to it will not get dumped by pg_dump, and thus won't get
propagated by pg_upgrade leading to silent behavior changes in the new
cluster (as well in any other type of restoration from pg_dump output)

I would say it is bad practise to alter one of those anyway, rather than
copy and alter the copy. But I wasn't aware until now of just how bad of
an idea it was. I think that this needs to be warned about in the docs
for ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION. If I were monkeying around in
$SHAREDLIB/tsearch_data, I'd expect traps like this, but not when executing
things from SQL after reading the docs on the command.

Cheers,

Jeff