Re: git apply vs patch -p1

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git apply vs patch -p1
Date: 2013-09-16 19:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk

> Josh> The issue isn't that, it's that git apply is just buggy and
> Josh> can't tell the difference between a new file and a modified
> Josh> one.
>
> It's not the fault of git apply; the patch contained explicit
> annotations on all the files claiming that they were new. Both the
> patches I've looked at so far (picksplit NaNs and enable_material)
> had the same defect.
>
> The question is, how are these submitters preparing their patches?

I used "git diff" configured to use src/tools/git-external-diff, as
described here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git

The resulting patch applies fine with patch, but not with git apply.

If I instead generate a patch with git diff --no-ext-diff, then it applies
with git apply.

Cheers,

Jeff