Re: Too many SET TimeZone and Application_name queries

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amarendra Konda <amar(dot)vijaya(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too many SET TimeZone and Application_name queries
Date: 2019-10-20 18:22:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 7:49 AM Amarendra Konda <amar(dot)vijaya(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our test environment, it was observed that there are too many queries
> were getting fired to the database server,

What does "too many" mean here? Is it just more than you like to see in
your log file, or is there some objective problem?

These look like housekeeping queries which are executed by a connection
pooler each time a connection is checked out of the pool (or perhaps
checked back in). However, they don't seem to be the housekeeping queries
which pgbouncer itself uses. I don't think that JDBC automatically issues
them either, although that might depend on your configuration. So I think
that leaves Tomcat as the most likely culprit. Tomcat does offer a
connection pool. Are you using it?

Cheers,

Jeff