Re: postgres_fdw super user checks

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw super user checks
Date: 2017-10-05 17:02:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > OK. And if you want the first one, you can wrap it in a view currently,
> but
> > if it were changed I don't know what you would do if you want the 2nd one
> > (other than having every user create their own set of foreign tables).
> So I
> > guess the current situation is more flexible.
>
> So where does that leave this patch?

Sorry, I thought we were just having a digression. I didn't think that
part was about this patch specifically, but what more could be done later.

> I don't think it makes this
> patch a bad idea, although I kind of lean towads the view that the
> patch should just be checking superuser_arg(), not superuser() ||
> superuser_arg().

I don't see a reason to block a directly-logged-in superuser from using a
mapping. I asked in the closed list whether the current (released)
behavior was a security bug, and the answer was no. And I don't know why
else to block superusers from doing something other than as a security
bug. Also it would create a backwards compatibility hazard to revoke the
ability now.

Cheers,

Jeff