Re: Optimizer items in the release notes

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimizer items in the release notes
Date: 2019-04-24 18:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As a user, I am interested in the optimizer changes for sure, and I
actually had wished they were highlighted more in previous releases.

> I think planner smarts are arguably one of our weakest areas when
> compared to the big commercial databases. The more we can throw in
> there about this sort of thing the better.

Completely agree on both fronts. I have run into numerous optimizations I
had taken for granted when I worked primarily with SQL Server and were not
present in Postgres.
Work being done to make the Postgres optimizer smarter is great, as is
highlighting that work in the release notes IMO.