Re: Referential Integrity Checks with Statement-level Triggers

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Referential Integrity Checks with Statement-level Triggers
Date: 2018-12-17 18:18:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It's something I know I am interested in. For me, I don't really care if my
statement doesn't cancel until the very end if there is a RI violation. The
benefit of not having deletes be slow on tables which have others
referencing it with a fkey which don't have their own index is huge IMO. I
have a good number of those type of logging tables where an index is not
useful 99% of the time, but every once and a while a bulk delete needs to
happen.

It is far from a premature optimization IMO, it is super useful and
something I was hoping would happen ever since I heard about transition
tables being worked on.

Just my $0.02.
-Adam