Re: Ways to "serialize" result set for later use?

From: Adam Brusselback <adambrusselback(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Brannen <KBrannen(at)efji(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ways to "serialize" result set for later use?
Date: 2021-04-12 17:50:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> Checking data (DML), if functions are doing the right things is
something we do in our code unit tests.

This is exactly what I am writing, unit tests for my code (which is
pl/pgsql). This is an ELT pipeline for my customers to bulk update their
data in my system, with detailed error reporting for any issues
per-row/column. The code is all plpgsql, as are the few tests i've written
so far. pgTAP is my unit testing framework for this process.

So unit testing my company's (vast) database code is something I am just
trying to figure out and get into my workflow, and it didn't feel like I
had to fight too hard with it at this point, other than $subject$. And even
that isn't an issue with my hacky function in place, it just feels a
little...dirty I guess? Was just wanting a gut check if there seemed to be
an obviously better way to get the same results.