Re: postgresql triggers - defining a global resource (java)

From: Aman Gupta <gupta(dot)aman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql triggers - defining a global resource (java)
Date: 2011-12-26 14:32:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey Alban,

Thanks for the reply. I had a follow up question w.r.t listen/notify:

I am planning to associate a NOTIFY with an update on a table - a trigger
is associated with the update, and we execute NOTIFY in the trigger code.
The NOTIFY directly goes to a remote server and contains the updated row
data in the payload (serialized). Each update will result in a diffferent
payload (timestamp will be in it). My question is whether LISTEN/NOTIFY was
designed to handle this scenario? The update rate may scale to very high
levels, and each of those updates will do a trigger call and issue a
notification. Also, the size of the payload may be large (maybe 10KB per
notification).

I am planning to do a load test myself - but it would be great if you
already know some good reason not to go ahead with this idea.

Looking at the big picture, my main requirement is to communicate with a
remote server about an update ASAP - its part of a very time critical
workflow. I am new to Postgre (and SQL servers in general) and don't know
what the best solution is. I was in Google earlier, where bigtables are
used everywhere. And bigtables have a fantastic framework for asynchronous
execution of code based on update on any cell of the table. I am trying to
find something similar here, which really SCALES.

Thanks,
Aman