Re: A performance issue with Memoize

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A performance issue with Memoize
Date: 2024-01-26 02:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 2:32 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'm fairly sure I thought it wouldn't matter because of the Param
> de-duplication done in paramassign.c. However, Richard's example
> shows that's not so, because process_subquery_nestloop_params is
> picky about the param ID assigned to a particular Var while
> replace_nestloop_params is not. So flipping the order makes sense.
> I'd change the comment though, maybe to
>
> /*
> * Replace any outer-relation variables with nestloop params.
> *
> * We must provide nestloop params for both lateral references of
> * the subquery and outer vars in the scan_clauses. It's better
> * to assign the former first, because that code path requires
> * specific param IDs, while replace_nestloop_params can adapt
> * to the IDs assigned by process_subquery_nestloop_params.
> * This avoids possibly duplicating nestloop params when the
> * same Var is needed for both reasons.
> */

+1. It's much better.

> However ... it seems like we're not out of the woods yet. Why
> is Richard's proposed test case still showing
>
> + -> Memoize (actual rows=5000 loops=N)
> + Cache Key: t1.two, t1.two
>
> Seems like there is missing de-duplication logic, or something.

When we collect the cache keys in paraminfo_get_equal_hashops() we
search param_info's ppi_clauses as well as innerrel's lateral_vars for
outer expressions. We do not perform de-duplication on the collected
outer expressions there. In my proposed test case, the same Var
't1.two' appears both in the param_info->ppi_clauses and in the
innerrel->lateral_vars, so we see two identical cache keys in the plan.
I noticed this before and wondered if we should do de-duplication on the
cache keys, but somehow I did not chase this to the ground.

Thanks
Richard