Re: ERROR: wrong varnullingrels (b 3) (expected (b)) for Var 2/1

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Markus Winand <markus(dot)winand(at)winand(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: wrong varnullingrels (b 3) (expected (b)) for Var 2/1
Date: 2023-05-31 02:47:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 10:48 PM Markus Winand <markus(dot)winand(at)winand(dot)at>
wrote:

> I found an error similar to others before ([1]) that is still persists as
> of head right now (0bcb3ca3b9).
>
> CREATE TABLE t (
> n INTEGER
> );
>
> SELECT *
> FROM (VALUES (1)) t(c)
> LEFT JOIN t ljl1 ON true
> LEFT JOIN LATERAL (WITH cte AS (SELECT * FROM t WHERE t.n = ljl1.n)
> SELECT * FROM cte) ljl2 ON ljl1.n = 1;
>
> ERROR: wrong varnullingrels (b 3) (expected (b)) for Var 2/1
>
> Note that the error does **not** occur if the CTE is unwrapped like this:
>
> SELECT *
> FROM (VALUES (1)) t(c)
> LEFT JOIN t ljl1 ON true
> LEFT JOIN LATERAL (SELECT * FROM t WHERE t.n = ljl1.n) ljl2 ON ljl1.n =
> 1;

Thanks for the report! Reproduced here. Also it can be reproduced with
subquery, as long as the subquery is not pulled up.

SELECT *
FROM (VALUES (1)) t(c)
LEFT JOIN t ljl1 ON true
LEFT JOIN LATERAL (SELECT * FROM t WHERE t.n = ljl1.n offset 0) ljl2 ON
ljl1.n = 1;
ERROR: wrong varnullingrels (b 3) (expected (b)) for Var 2/1

When we transform the first form of identity 3 to the second form, we've
converted Pb*c to Pbc in deconstruct_distribute_oj_quals. But we
neglect to consider that rel C might be a RTE_SUBQUERY and contains
quals that have lateral references to B. So the B vars in such quals
have wrong nulling bitmaps and we'd finally notice that when we do
fix_upper_expr for the NestLoopParam expressions.

Thanks
Richard