Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, zuming(dot)jiang(at)inf(dot)ethz(dot)ch, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN
Date: 2023-11-28 08:03:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 1:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
>> BTW, why is it that it seems to prefer to remove the first of
>> the two self-joined rels, rather than the second? That seems
>> jarringly bizarre.
>

> Hmm, I'm not sure either. Alexander and Andrei, could you please share
> your insights?

BTW, while reading the codes, I noticed this commit of
remove_self_joins_recurse.

* ... To avoid complexity, limit the max power of this set by a GUC.

But where is the GUC? I guess that it refers to
self_join_search_limit, which has been removed during development.

So we should revise this commit to at least remove any mention of the
GUC. Maybe it'd better to add a new commit explaining why we are not
concerned about cases where the number of self joins is too large.

Thanks
Richard