Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, zuming(dot)jiang(at)inf(dot)ethz(dot)ch, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #18187: Unexpected error: "variable not found in subplan target lists" triggered by JOIN
Date: 2023-11-28 07:03:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 1:42 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > After some more thought, I think PHVs should not impose any constraints
> > on removing self joins. If the removed rel is contained in the relids
> > that a PHV is evaluated/needed at or laterally references, it can just
> > be replaced with the rel that is kept.
>
> I experimented with trying to break this patch using this test case:
>
> create table t (id int primary key, f1 text, f2 text);
> create table i (f0 int);
>
> explain verbose
> select * from i left join (
> (select *, 1 as x from t tss1) t1 join
> (select *, 2 as y from t tss2) t2
> on t1.id = t2.id
> ) on i.f0 = t1.id;

Thanks for the query!

> It seems to successfully remove the self-join between tss1 and tss2,
> but there is something wrong. If you examine the PlannerInfo just
> after remove_useless_self_joins, you will notice that the two
> PlaceHolderVars (for x and y) in the placeholder_list both have
>
> :phrels (b 7)
> :phnullingrels (b)
>
> where beforehand x had
>
> :phrels (b 6)
> :phnullingrels (b 5)
>
> and y had
>
> :phrels (b 7)
> :phnullingrels (b 5)
>
> It's correct to move both phrels locations to rel 7 (the surviving
> self-joined rel) but what became of the reference to nullingrel 5?
> That seems clearly wrong, since we have not removed the left join.

What you noticed before remove_useless_self_joins seems not right to me.
The PHVs in placeholder_list are supposed to have empty phnullingrels by
convention, as explained in find_placeholder_info.

* By convention, phinfo->ph_var->phnullingrels is always empty, since the
* PlaceHolderInfo represents the initially-calculated state of the
* PlaceHolderVar.

> Much worse, if you look around elsewhere in the data structure,
> particularly at the processed_tlist, you find instances of the
> PlaceHolderVars that have not been updated and still have the
> old values such as ":phrels (b 6)".

Good catch! We fail to handle PlaceHolderVar case in sje_walker and
replace_varno_walker, which is wrong. Fixed in v3 patch.

> It's not apparent to me why the cross-checks we have in setrefs.c
> and elsewhere don't detect a problem with this. But it seems
> clear that remove_useless_self_joins is still several bricks
> shy of a load in terms of fully updating the data structure for a
> join removal. Probably with some more work to add complication
> to this test case, we could demonstrate an observable failure.

Fair point. I have the same concern that we still have other loose ends
in SJE updating necessary data structures in self join removal. And I
noticed that Andres expressed the same concern in [1]. I think we
should come up with some solution to detect/avoid such problems, but I
imagine that that should be a seperate patch.

> BTW, why is it that it seems to prefer to remove the first of
> the two self-joined rels, rather than the second? That seems
> jarringly bizarre.

Hmm, I'm not sure either. Alexander and Andrei, could you please share
your insights?

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20231127180705.svzrlahdmqvosqfz%40awork3.anarazel.de

Thanks
Richard

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Don-t-constrain-self-join-removal-due-to-PHVs.patch application/octet-stream 6.5 KB