Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18297: Error when adding a column to a parent table with complex inheritance
Date: 2024-01-17 11:54:26
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 3:48 PM Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hmm, thanks for the report.
> I can repeat the aboved issue on master, even on pg10 and pg 11.
> I analyzed this issue, and I found that ATExecAddColumn(), we forgot to
> call CommandCounterIncrement() in if (colDef->inhcount > 0) {...} branch.
> So the third(a->d) updates the first(a->b->c->d) tuple.
> Attached patch is my quickly fixed solution.

Indeed. We may update the same child column multiple times, but there
is no CommandCounterIncrement between. Nice catch and +1 to the fix.

To nitpick, how about go with the comment as

/* Make sure the child column change is visible */

which seems clearer.

Also I think it'd be better to include a blank line before and after the
new CommandCounterIncrement statement.

Also I suggest to drop the new added tables after we've run ALTER TABLE
in the test case.

Thanks
Richard