Re: Incremental sort for access method with ordered scan support (amcanorderbyop)

From: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Miroslav Bendik <miroslav(dot)bendik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Incremental sort for access method with ordered scan support (amcanorderbyop)
Date: 2023-04-17 13:25:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 1:20 AM Miroslav Bendik <miroslav(dot)bendik(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Postgres allows incremental sort only for ordered indexes. Function
> build_index_paths dont build partial order paths for access methods
> with order support. My patch adds support for incremental ordering
> with access method.

I think this is a meaningful optimization. I reviewed the patch and
here are the comments from me.

* I understand the new param 'match_pathkeys_length_p' is used to tell
how many presorted keys are useful. I think list_length(orderbyclauses)
will do the same. So there is no need to add the new param, thus we can
reduce the code diffs.

* Now that match_pathkeys_to_index() returns a prefix of the pathkeys
rather than returns NIL immediately when there is a failure to match, it
seems the two local variables 'orderby_clauses' and 'clause_columns' are
not necessary any more. I think we can instead lappend the matched
'expr' and 'indexcol' to '*orderby_clauses_p' and '*clause_columns_p'
directly. In this way we can still call 'return' when we come to a
failure to match.

* In build_index_paths(), I think the diff can be reduced to

- if (orderbyclauses)
- useful_pathkeys = root->query_pathkeys;
- else
- useful_pathkeys = NIL;
+ useful_pathkeys = list_truncate(list_copy(root->query_pathkeys),
+ list_length(orderbyclauses));

* Several comments in match_pathkeys_to_index() are out of date. We
need to revise them to cope with the change.

* I think it's better to provide a test case.

Thanks
Richard